How to be an Amazing Husband?
Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) was the best to his family. He (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said: Among the Muslims the most perfect, as regards his faith, is the one whose character is excellent, and the best among you are those who treat their wives well.
What an amazing Hadith!
This Hadith by itself should drive us to at least try to become pleasing to our wives, and thereby earn the the title of being the best.
As he(sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) is our role model, let us look at some of his techniques and try to incorporate them into our lives.
- Call your wives with beautiful names. Names that they would love to hear and would make them happy.Rasoolullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) used to call Ayesha(Radiallahu anha) “Humaira” or “Aaish”.
- Kissing your wife after you return home from work is such a sweet gesture. Before he (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) went to the masjid he would not to forget to kiss Ayesha (Radiallahu anha).
- Thank your wife sincerely for all the things she does for you and the children. Help her with housework whenever you can. This will surely win her heart.
- Stop pointing out errors, and reprimanding her for it continuously. Realize to err is human. Once when the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) was in Ayesha’s (Radiallahu anha) house with some of his companions, Umm Salamah sent him a plate of food. When Ayesha (Radiallahu anha) saw it, she took a rock the size of a hand and hit the plate with it, breaking it to pieces. The Prophet gathered the parts of the plate and told his companions, ‘Eat, your mother has been jealous. Eat, your mother has been jealous.’ So they ate, the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) then kept the broken plate in Ayesha’s (Radiallahu anha) house, sent a good plate of hers to Umm Salamah, and said, A comparable plate for a damaged plate, and a comparable food for a damaged food.” He (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) corrected her mistake and without scolding or criticizing her.
- Dress up for your wife. Don’t limit the usage of good clothes and perfume to your workplace only. Surprise her someday by looking the best in your house. When the prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) returned home, the first thing he would do was to use the Miswak.(Saheeh Muslim)
- When your wife is talking to you, listen to her. Keep away the phone and listen attentively. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) was the busiest man alive, yet he still found time to listen to his wives patiently.
- Reiterate your love for her by your words and actions. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) would take the glass from Ayesha(Radiallahu anha) and drink from the same place. How romantic!
- Play games with your wife. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) would have fun and race with Ayesha(Radiallahu Anha)
- Pay attention to her mood. Know when she’s upset or just tired. Know that they is a certain time to bring up things. Don’t bring up unpleasant things when she already has had a very rough day. Aisha reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Indeed, I can recognize when you are angry with me or pleased with me.” I said, “How do you recognize that, O Messenger of Allah?” He said, “Verily, when you are pleased, you say: Yes, by the Lord of Muhammad. But when we you are upset, you say: No, by the Lord of Abraham.” I said, “Yes, I do not leave out anything but your name.” (Sahih Bukhari 5728)
- Do some acts of ibadah together.Pray together in the depths of the night, recite some portion of the Quran together or fast together on Mondays and Thursdays. “May Allah have mercy on a man who wakes up at night and prays, and wakes up his wife to pray and if she resists, he would lightly spray water on her face; and may Allah have mercy on a woman who wakes up at night and prays, and wakes up her husband to pray and if he resists, she would lightly spray water on his face” (Abu Dawud, GradedSahih)